I've been reading a lot about the new Windows Vista since it's grand inception Jan. 30th and I had to laugh when I heard just about every sales person tell me, wait for awhile till most of the bugs get ironed out. Wow, and new becomes old again! Being a senior service tech for a very large global office equipment company I have seen more then my fair share of bugs.
When you are under the gun every day making sure that brand new connected, digital multi-function products work properly, it can be a very stressful and frustrating endevour. These technological wonders are very expensive and people expect them to work flawlessly. You have fax, colour copying, network printing and high speed scanning to desktop or email, these babies can do it all. Well they're supposed to anyways. What's running all these wonderful features is a mini harddrive loaded with specialized software programs that work in harmony with each other. For the most part anyways, that is the idea. But things can go horribly wrong and a lot of times they do. The compatibility of this system software, bugs that lock up or freeze a portion of it or a corrupted file at install can all spell disaster for the company. And the svc tech is usually stuck in the middle, pissed off and fuming. Let's see, there is fax version 19.20 and scanner ver. 21.90 then there's Language ver. 23.20 and of course system ver. 12.80. Months later, you are told that to solve that nagging hang when sending booklets that are double sided and larger than 11X14, you have to install system ver. 15.70. And look! Here is a new version of the fax software so that the damn machine won't dial New Zealand all night after everyone has all gone home.
Wow, I love progress. I love technology, and new electronic gadgets and their operating systems that let them do all sorts of wonderful stuff. I know its just as difficult making the programs that run the toys as it is to create those very toys themselves, maybe even more difficult. But those people that do create the software, get paid more then the engineer dreaming up these neat toys, so they should take their foqueing heads out of their ass and get their shite together!
No comments:
Post a Comment