Saturday, 14 February 2009

Who knew?

I was sitting at my computer one day last week with the google homepage open in front of me as I am normally apt to do, when I decided to do a search on one particular topic. I have been intrigued quite a bit lately about the phrase "Intelligent Design" and I decided I would explore it some more in my favourite search engine. As I typed those two words in the google search box a thought struck me, I then proceeded to type "or Dumb Luck" and hit enter. I almost fell out of my chair with laughter. There was all manner of hits with numerous articles using those very words as the heading. It was at that moment that a rush went through my body and I dived right in to the first promising article. As I was reading excerpts from this or that paper or book I got the impression that the big debate was actually a "real" debate. There was even a university professor who wrote a paper on Intelligent Design and appeared to be serious as he postulated about why he thought this was the only explanation for all the evidence collected by man to this date. Another author wrote a piece on how science and Creationism could work hand in hand and fit right in with world as we know it. Still another mentioned that pure science didn't quite explain everything that has happened to man and wondered if there indeed was Intelligent Design at work here because all the basis for life on this planet was "tailor-made" perfectly for us. Of course there were many articles stating that science was the only force at work in this universe and "Dumb Luck" was exactly the result of this primordial mix. Listen people, Darwin was born 150 years ago and we are STILL fighting over what is the popular consensus for the state of our world. A quote that was attributed to Einstein stated" The mystery of Life...is Life itself". To me that says it all right there.

I was born and raised a Roman Catholic, I had no choice until I was 15 years old. At one time, the brainwashing ran so deep that I ended up as an alter boy for a couple of years. Thank god(LOL) I didn't get fondled by the priest, that would have clinched it right then and there for me. My first love in school was history and that interest got me on the road to reading and researching and then realizing, that I was being fooled. Everyone on this earth was being fooled. As far as I was concerned, the Bible was the world's greatest piece of fiction ever written. The beauty of religion is total mind control of the masses. I believed it wholeheartedly and I started to look at religious people as, well stupid people. Like country and western music lovers, they were almost sub-human, almost like trailor park trash. So now I look at learned and educated people and wonder how in the hell can they even believe a fairy tale like religion and the god almighty(lower case). Do they think that he is actually going to save them? In my view of the world, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" sounds like a no-brainer. If anyone wants to live on this earth as a rational, caring person obviously has to follow a few important guidelines. Live peacefully with your fellow man and nourish and enrich the lives of your loved ones and friends so that all may live in harmony with each other until you die. Period. That sounds like a humanist or secular lifestyle to me, don't you think? It's stripped down without all the hokey-pokey mumbo-jumbo bullshit that fits like an albatross around all our necks, AND we don't have to give that 10% to the church. When the urge wells up in us we can just drop a buck in some homeless person's hat and we can all sleep well at night. My god! I'm on a roll right now don't you think?

So now I want to continue with my original thought a few hours ago before I had to go out to watch my son play some hockey at the ice rink. I also clicked on an article that for some reason ended up in the mix of hits I was viewing with a general theme of Intelligent Design but had a bit of a twist that I was not expecting. This gentleman, Leonard Susskind has written a number of papers on the topic of Superstring theory and had a partial explanation of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. I don't know why it showed up here except to expand on quantum mechanics and the theory of gravity. Dumb Luck may be an acronym for "whatever the universe throws at us". One quote that really hit home and made me sit up and take notice was "A landscape of possibilities, a megaverse of actualities". In my heart and mind ( I could even say soul here), I truly believe that " in our locality, there is a constant bombardment of random acts of chaos that continue on and on until one instant, it fails to be".

Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it!!

No comments: