Monday, 9 February 2009

Let them see the light of day!

I just finished watching the live media Q and A on CNN tonight Monday, Feb. 9 and I'll tell you it was a big eye opener for me for a number of reasons. First a little background, I am a proud Canadian citizen and have lived in the most wonderful country in the world for most of my 49 years ( don't take my word for it though, research the yearly UN lists). Being an army brat when I was younger, I have also lived in Belgium, Germany and Portugal for some years and have lived with a different perspective on life that has shaped my adult leanings and bias'. I have followed in my father's footsteps and became a electronics technician after finishing high school and a 2 yr college course with my usual 85 average. I may be a little ornery and jaded in my outlook and demeanor, but I am not stupid.

Which brings me back to tonight's TV appearance by Barrack Obama, to see him respond to all the questions with thoughful and detailed comments really made me sit up and take notice. I was excited and amazed that Mr. President was honest, forthright and as enlightening as he could be with every media person's question. I thought, this is no George W with the blah blah statements, this showed me a refreshing new side to American Politics. The constant message that this is going to be a transparent government with checks and oversights just may happen after all.

One question that was put forth by one of the media types there was, will there be a change in the government policy of flying in soldier's caskets under cover of night so nobody can see them. I almost fell out of my chair, here was something that I knew must be happening but never thought I would hear it being addressed on national television. I believe that this should certainly stop but NOT because it would deal a mortal blow to the reputation of the Armed Services, but to enhance or humanize it. Let me explain. Now I know that the numbers of regrettable soldier's deaths are no where near the same for our two countries, our Armed Services have a different opinion of how our repatriated soldier's are accepted by their loved ones and all who follow our sons and daughters in Afghanistan (this happens possibly because we never had a Vietnam). When their caskets touch down in CFB Trenton, Ontario in the full light of day, a full ceremony is observed then those families that live outside our province are taken to the airport in Toronto with a massive police escort. This convoy of vehicles passes through many towns along our HWY 401 which is called the "Highway of Heroes" and many thousands of regular people as well as police services and fire fighters line this highway and on all the bridges. Some wave their Canadian flags and cheer, others salute or stand at attention, but mostly all of them have tears of sadness and also pride. There passes another few of our fallen heroes.

In my mind and in many others living here, this is the only way to observe and feel for the families and yes, even celebrate our proud military history. It is a MUST that your government see and feel what we see, I firmly believe it would quickly bring a new perspective to the American people and I'm sure your military would appreciate that as well.

No comments: